Jenna graduated from Merton College, Oxford University in 2007 with a BA (Hons) in Jurisprudence. She completed her training contract in the City at Macfarlanes and qualified as a solicitor in September 2011. On qualification, Jenna worked as a tax disputes associate at Herbert Smith. She joined ThomasMansfield in May 2012 to focus exclusively on employment law.
Jenna carries out a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment work for both employer and employee clients.
She acts for employees in relation to all types of dispute including: unfair dismissal,constructive unfair dismissal, whistle blowing and all discrimination claims. She works with clients to establish their priorities and help them identify the best way forward. This may involve bringing a grievance, going to an employment tribunal or negotiating with the employer to settle the matter outside of court.
She regularly advises employers on handling disciplinary and capability proceedings,grievances, managing sickness absence and carrying out redundancy consultations. Jenna has successfully guided a number of businesses through redundancy processes and is known for working closely with clients to establish clear priorities and help identify the best approach.
Jenna has a wealth of experience of Employment Tribunal claims, as well as of cases progressing to the Employment Appeals Tribunal. Another particular area of expertise is advising on disability discrimination law, including stress-related conditions and dyslexia. She keeps client up to date with this fast-developing area of law, helping them to avoid the pitfalls and potential reputational risks.
Jenna has recently achieved a successful outcome in the widely publicised case of her client, who is a dyslexic employee, Miss Kumulchew, against her employer, Starbucks in the Employment Tribunal. You can read more about this case on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35521061 and on Jenna Ide’s blog /blog/posts/meseret-kumulchew-vs-starbucks.
In addition, Jenna has advised other dyslexic employees and also employers regarding reasonable adjustments for dyslexic employees. She is therefore very well placed to advise on this specialist area, which needs to be approached with great care.
Jenna is the firm’s “Disability Champion”, which means she is the point of contact for any colleagues with disability issues.
Jenna has experience in the following areas of employment law:
- Drafting all employment related documentation
- Reviewing HR policies to ensure compliance with current legislation
- Advising and negotiating termination packages
- Advising on the legal aspects of conduct and performance dismissals
- Transfer of undertakings and employment law aspects of business sales
- Collective consultation and redundancy
- Advising on all aspects of discrimination law
- Disputes concerning worker and employment status
- Variation of contract
- Advising on unfair dismissal claims
- Pay and bonus disputes
- Advising on and negotiating settlement agreements
- Race, sex, age & disability discrimination claims
- Contractual disputes
- Advising on restrictive covenants
- Transferring employees from one organisation to another(TUPE)
- Successfully obtained a strike-out of a claim in the Employment Tribunal for a large infrastructure company.
- Drafted several successful defences for employers.
- Guided employers through redundancy process including drafting settlement agreements.
- Updated employers’ policies and procedures in light of new legal developments.
- Successfully obtained a costs award against a Claimant on behalf of a large Respondent company.
- Negotiated excellent settlement packages for employees.
“Jenna was first class and shows your company and herself in a very positive light.”
“Jenna was very professional, she was very warm &welcoming.”
“I dealt with Jenna (and others at Thomas Mansfield) in terms of me being a client but also as HR Manager and planning meetings for the company to meet our employees. Very professional,courteous at all times, dealt with situations sensitively.”
“Very good service.”
“I found Jenna’s approach very attentive, thorough and professional.”
“I was very happy with Jenna – could not have wished for abetter solicitor to handle my case. Thank you.”
“I would highly recommend Jenna.”
- The Law Society
- The Employment Lawyers Association