Prior to joining Thomas Mansfield, Julie worked for a London law firm and a highly regarded national law firm. Julie also worked for many years for the British Medical Association representing and negotiating on behalf of doctors, including general practitioners, on contractual and employment-related issues.
Julie has a Masters degree from Warwick University and obtained a high distinction in her Legal Practice Certificate.
Julie’s background and approach means that she is well placed to assist both individual employees and employers.
Julie has many years of experience advising both employees and employers on the handling of difficult situations, and has had great success in resolving these. Julie is particularly praised for providing straight-forward and easy to understand advice and for recognising the needs of her clients.
Her experience of advising employer clients ranges from a major PLC and international companies to owner managed businesses and partnerships, including accountancy and law firms.
Julie’s in-house training for line managers has received acclamation from those attending. She is commended for making a potentially dull topic engaging and for providing “exactly the knowledge needed”.
Julie also advocates in Employment Tribunals with excellent results.
In addition, Julie’s background also means that she is a skilled negotiator. She has managed numerous successful deals for her clients, whether employer or employee clients. In particular, she has achieved increased compensation payments for clients who have been offered settlement agreements as well as for those settling existing Employment Tribunal claims.
Areas of expertise include:
- Advising on dismissals and the handling of disciplinary and grievance procedures, including appeals
- Advising on the legal aspects of conduct and performance dismissals
- Discrimination law
- Variation of contract
- Advice on redundancy and re-structuring organisations
- TUPE advice
- Drafting tailored employment contracts, including restrictive covenants and confidentiality clauses
- Preparing handbooks and policies
- Taking action in relation to breaches of post-termination restrictions and breaches of confidentiality
- Advising on avoiding employment tribunal claims
- Advising on the handling of disciplinary and grievance procedures, including appeals
- Advice on all types of dismissal claims, including early conciliation
- Advice on whistleblowing, discrimination, victimisation, harassment and equal pay/terms claims
- Contract reviews, including for senior executives
- Advising on restrictive covenants
- Advising on contractual disputes for the non-payment of bonuses
- Advising on and negotiating severance packages and settlement agreements
Law Society and Employment Lawyers Association
“Julie acted extremely professionally and was very helpful in taking the time to explain all the legal terms and implications of the agreement. She was extremely thorough during our first meeting and during the entire process and gave sound advice on everything, while remaining sensitive to the situation. Julie always gave prior warning to when more fees would apply so I could plan what action to take, she was very patient with everything she did for me. I am very grateful I found her to represent me and helped me to negotiate a satisfying outcome. I would highly recommend Julie to anyone.”
“I would have no hesitation recommending Julie Goodway who throughout was totally attentive and extremely thorough but also easy to understand.”
“Julie Goodway from Thomas Mansfield Solicitors delivered her ‘Getting it Right’ Employment Law for Line Managers to a mixed audience of Directors, Managers and Supervisors. Feedback was wholeheartedly positive and delegates found the trainer ‘warm and engaging’ and the ‘potentially dull’ topic engaging providing ‘exactly the knowledge needed’. As an HR professional I can wholeheartedly recommend this training to any organisation needing to inject their line managers with employment law basics for the complete employment cycle in a clear and approachable way.”
Cryss Mennaceur | Human Resources and Office Manager | YoungMinds
“I would like to thank you for your help in the issue it has been handled very speedily and efficiently.”
“I found Ms Goodway to be a very pleasant, professional, efficient and dedicated woman. I was pleased with the service she provided me with & would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone.”
“I feel that your company acting on my behalf were helpful and considerate throughout the action. The advice and guidance were accurate. The person acting on my behalf Julie Goodway gets top marks for her diligence. I contacted your company on recommendation and would certainly pass it on.”
“Julie made the process easy to understand and followed it through so I benefited financially.”